GFDD Attends the 3rd Annual Plasticity Forum
New York, June 24, 2014Tweet
On June 24th, the Global Foundation for Democracy and Development (GFDD) joined the 3rd Annual Plasticity Forum, a one-day event examining the future of plastic, innovations in design and materials, all aimed at preventing plastic from becoming a waste product.
The forum, which kicked off at 9 am at the Tribeca Rooftop in New York City, brought together plastic producers, users, recyclers, designers and entrepreneurs to discuss the possibilities of how to harness plastic in new ways, with the aim of finding profitable and creative solutions to reduce out global plastic footprint.
The packed agenda included over 13 presentations and panel discussions, including keynote addresses by former Costa Rican President Jose Maria Figueres, and William McDonough, Chairman of McDonough Innovation and co-author of Cradle-to-Cradle, among others.
The presentations not only highlighted opportunities involved in the world of plastic, but showcased cutting-edge solutions, effective policies and emerging new technologies that aim to reduce the scale and impact of plastic on our environment.
“The Plasticity Forum in NY will mark a new chapter in collaborative action between industry, governments and communities in banding together to scale solutions that can really drive mindset changes in how we perceive plastic as a waste material. By no means is this an easy challenge to address, but leaders at this event know how to deliver solutions that we can all participate in, and benefit from, in our respective communities,” said Doug Woodring, Founder of Plasticity.
Mr. Woodring, who is also the Managing Director of the Ocean Recovery Alliance and a long-time collaborator of GFDD, participated as a special guest at the II DR Environmental Film Festival in 2012. Mr. Woodring’s workshop entitled “Plastic Vortex: Our Oceans, Plastic and Other trash”, increased dialogue and presented new ideas to Dominican audiences on how to combat the plastic pollution problem.
About Plasticity Forum
The first Plasticity Forum was held in Rio de Janeiro at the Rio+20 Earth Summit, and was followed by a highly successful event at the Asia Society in Hong Kong in June, 2013. Plasticity is about bringing together leaders who can learn and collaborate with one another to help scale up some of the great solutions which are now coming to market. The goal is to have a world where plastic is used, but without creating a plastic footprint on our communities. Plasticity Forums showcase sustainable solutions and market opportunities for transforming plastic waste into a valuable resource.
- Third Edition of Globo Verde Dominicano Award Introducing a New Category in the Area of Photography
Santo Domingo, March 24, 2014
- GFDD’s RDescubre Program Inspires Environmental Stewardship through Education
Santo Domingo, March 18, 2014
- ReCrearte Program continues to gain strength across the country
Santo Domingo, March 5, 2014
- GFDD Short Film Wins Best Documentary at the 2014 Green Lens Environmental Film Festival
De Kalb, Illinois, February 27, 2014
- GFDD and Human Film Crew to Give Workshop on “The Art of the Interview: Techniques for Establishing Good Dialogue in the Production of a Documentary”
Santo Domingo, February 15, 2014
- Dominican Students Conquer New Heights on Mountain Hike to Pico Duarte
Santo Domingo, February 8, 2014
- GFDD’s Participates in the Princeton Environmental Film Festival with its own Dominican Eco-Short
New York, January 29, 2014
- GFDD's New Series of Eco-Courses Aid Sustainable Agricultural Development in the Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo, January 24, 2014